As our spring sports are just getting started (and getting started means games down south in warmer weather, not that I’m jealous), it’s also time for winter reports to enter the postseason! Several of our teams head into the conference playoffs this week – and a group of grapplers are heading to nationals…all in all, a pretty big week for Mercyhurst athletics.
- Men’s basketball hosts Slippery Rock University on Tuesday, March 1, for a PSAC West playoff game. The tip is scheduled for 7 p.m. in the Mercyhurst Athletic Center (MAC).
- Women’s basketball travels down I-79 on Tuesday to square off against division leading Edinboro. The women’s team earned their first playoff bid in a decade, and looks to pull the big upset in a 7 p.m. tipoff.
- Men’s hockey will travel even further down 79 to Robert Morris University for the first round of the Atlantic Hockey Association playoffs on Wednesday. The playoffs are single-elimination during this round, so a great deal is on the line for Rick Gotkin’s Lakers.
- Women’s hockey will travel to Syracuse, N.Y., for the College Hockey America (CHA) playoff tournament this weekend. As the top seed, Mercyhurst earns a bye into the CHA Semifinal and will play the winner of Wayne State/Robert Morris on Friday at 4 p.m.
- The wrestling team competed in the Super Region I competition this past weekend, and as a team finished fourth of 13 teams. Notably, four individuals will be making their first trip to the NCAA National Championships held March 11-12 at the UNK Health & Sports Center in Kearney, Neb.
Congratulations are due to these outstanding student-athletes, and best of luck in their respective playoff competitions over the next two weeks! Stay tuned to this blog as well as the Hurst Athletics website for all the details!